The Sackler family wanted to sell OxyContin as an UNCONTROLLED substance – but the drug’s inventor told them that would be dangerous

The Sackler family, whose company, Purdue Pharma, stands accused of fueling the opioid epidemic allegedly wanted to sell OxyContin without any warnings or regulations in foreign countries, new court documents suggest. 

But Oxycontin’s inventor allegedly warned them that doing so would be extremely dangerous, flying in the face of the family’s continued denials that they knew how addictive and potentially deadly the drug was.   

Evidence of these events and other damning details came to light in the 274-page pre-hearing filing for the state of Massachusetts’s suit against the Sacklers. 

Massachusetts is one of dozens of state suing the Purdue Pharma and the family behind it for getting millions of people addicted to opioids via its blockbuster painkiller, OxyContin. 

New Yorker writer Patrick Radden Keefe, who wrote a scathing profile of the family for the magazine, spotted the evidence that the Sackler family wanted the drug sold unregulated – and had been warned of the dangers by Purdue scientists. 

The massive filing also contained evidence that, contrary to the Sackler family’s claims, they did know their drug could lead to an addiction and overdose crisis, and even tried to distance themselves from the company ahead of the coming legal storm.

About 75 percent of people with an opioid misuse disorder were first exposed to the addictive substances through prescription opioids – namely, Oxycontin. 

Its maker, Purdue Pharma was purchased by brothers Arthur, Raymond and Mortimer Sackler, the co-founders of the company in its present form. 

With it, they acquired a compound in development that would become OxyContin, which was launched in 1996. 

Original Source

Did Adam Liaw just diss MasterChef? 2010 series winner gives cryptic response when discussing TV ratings for the blockbuster cooking show

In 2010, 5.74 million people tuned in to see Adam Liaw win MasterChef, making it the most-watched non-sporting event in Australian TV history at the time.

And the 40-year-old says he doesn’t think future seasons of the blockbuster cooking show can compete with those astronomical ratings. 

In an interview with The Weekend Australian Magazine on Saturday, the chef humorously stated: ‘Given the change in viewing patterns since then, I doubt it’ll (the ratings) ever be eclipsed unless aliens land!’ 

It’s unclear whether Adam’s comment was a subtle dig at the franchise.

It’s also unclear whether he was talking about the change in viewing patterns in relation to MasterChef or in television more broadly. 

Last year’s season finale of MasterChef garnered 1.85 million viewers – less than a third of the the number who tuned in to see Adam claim victory back in 2010. 

However, given that TV ratings have dramatically dropped in recent years, Channel Ten were thrilled with that result. 

Network Ten chief content officer Beverly McGarvery  told Mumbrella after the finale: ‘In its 10th year, MasterChef continues to resonate strongly with households across the country and remains one of the most iconic and loved shows on Australian television.’ 

Original Source

Pregnant Jessica Simpson and husband Eric Johnson attend sister Ashlee’s concert in LA… after she tries ‘cupping’ for her extremely swollen feet

She told her Instagram fans on Friday how cupping has helped her find relief from her extremely swollen feet due to the pregnancy. 

And following her post, Jessica Simpson, 38, was pictured enjoying a night out with husband Eric Johnson,39, as they watched her sister Ashlee and brother-in-law Evan Ross perform at The Roxy in LA.

The American singer, who is gearing up to welcome her third child in the coming days, donned a chic long-sleeved black maxi dress for the concert, which saw iconic diva Diana Ross also in attendance. 

She combated the chillier Los Angeles temperatures with a faux fur stole, which she wrapped around her. 

Jessica added a pop of colour to her muted ensemble in the form of a mixed print bag, which boasted both leopard print and ethnic embroidery. 

The heavily-pregnant star styled her waist-length locks into a tousled wave and sported a glamorous beauty look. 

Following her style lead, former football player Eric wore black jeans, shirt and trainers as they left the venue.

Her sister Ashlee, 34, looked chic in a pair of glittering trousers as she left the iconic venue with her husband Evan following their performance. 

A number of Evan’s family member’s were also in attendance including his sister Tracee Ellis Ross and his mother Diana.

Original Source

Brrrritain is braced for chilly weekend: Gritters on standby as bitter Arctic winds bring snow and ice in parts of UK after overnight lows of -4C

Temperatures across Britain are set to plunge as a result of a weaker than normal jet stream which will allow in colder polar air, bringing with it snow and ice. 

The Met Office’s long range forecasters believe freezing temperatures could hit most areas towards the end of the month, bringing with it rain, snow and ice. 

Already, areas in Scotland and higher ground in the north of England have seen snow. 

Public Health England suggested that during the cold snap, people should look in on elderly neighbours and relatives. 

Dr Emer O’Connell of PHE said: ‘Experience shows us that every winter thousands of people are seriously affected and even die from illnesses linked to the cold. Protecting yourself from the cold may seem like common sense but many people do not manage to keep themselves warm

‘If you know someone at risk, someone over 65, anyone with dementia or a heart and lung condition, or a young child, check up on them and see if there’s anything you can do to help. All of us should be heating our homes to at least 18C, keeping up to date with weather forecasts and planning our days around them – simple steps can really help protect against the cold.’ 

Tonight, rain will threaten southern parts of England and Wales with frost in eastern areas. Rain and hill snow might hit the north west. 

Tomorrow, icy roads could threaten large parts of England and Wales, with hill snow in Scotland, Northern Ireland and much of Wales. 

Original Source

Jason Van Dyke gets nearly 7 years in shooting death of Laquan McDonald

A former Chicago police officer was sentenced to more than six years in prison on Friday for the shooting death of teenager Laquan McDonald.

Judge Vincent Gaughan sentenced Jason Van Dyke to 6 years and 9 months in prison for the 2014 killing.

Van Dyke, who is white, was convicted in October of second-degree murder and 16 counts of aggravated assault — one for each shot he fired at McDonald.

He faced up to 20 years in prison for the murder charge and 30 years for the aggravated assault counts.

The verdict was the first time in Chicago that a police officer was convicted in a fatal shooting.

Celebratory crowds took to the streets after the verdict was handed down.

“I’ve been told time and time again that the citizenry of the county of Cook is not going to be satisfied with a sentence that’s anything south of 20 years,” Pastor Marvin Hunter, McDonald’s great uncle, said after the sentencing, ABC News reported.

“However I want to say to everyone — everyone in the city of Chicago and across this country — that if they had sentenced him to one minute, it is a victory,” Hunter added.

“It is a victory because what has happened in this courtroom today has never happened in the history of this county and it sets a precedent and it sends a strong message to unjust police officers that now you can and will go to jail if you’re caught lying, if you’re caught breaking the law.”

Original Source

Milos Raonic flying the flag for Canada at the Australian Open after securing last-16 spot with win over Pierre-Hugues Herbert

Milos Raonic is the only Canadian left standing as he eased to a 6-4, 6-4, 7-6 (6) win over Pierre-Hugues Herbert to move into the fourth round of the Australian Open for the sixth time.

It came after Raonic had two tough opening matches with Nick Kyrgios and 2014 champion Stan Warwinka.

Raonic swept to 3-0 and 5-1 leads in the tiebreaker but Herbert rallied to level at 5-5. Herbert saved one match point before Raonic clinched the 2-hour, 1-minute match with an ace.

Schedules can be gruelling, particularly with the soaring temperatures on court. For Raonic, a rest on Friday was key to his success over Herbert.    

‘I took yesterday off and didn’t come on to a tennis court, after four hours on one on Thursday,’ Raonic said after the win.

‘I came out fresh and glad to have another match in two days.’ 

Raonic will play the winner of the match between fourth-seeded Alexander Zverev and Alex Bolt.

But while Raonic now looks ahead to the latter stages of the first Grand Slam of the season, Canadian compatriot Denis Shapovalov saw his Australian Open ending by world No 1 Novak Djokovic. 

While he was able to briefly trouble Djokovic by taking the fourth set, it was a tough afternoon for the talented 19-year-old as he faced the Serb still trying to reach his imperious best. 

Original Source

Northampton Saints produce biggest European win as they thrash Romanian minnows Timisoara 111-3 and score 17 TRIES to progress in Challenge Cup

It is one of the longest away trips in European rugby this season, but Timisoara Saracens’ 1,336-mile journey to Northampton will have felt nowhere near as long as their time on the Franklin’s Gardens pitch.

On Friday night the Romanian minnows were obliterated 111-3 by the Saints as the Premiership side racked up 17 tries and recorded their biggest-ever European victory. 

When the teams were supposed to meet for the first time in December the match was abandoned 30 minutes before kick-off due to heavy snow. This time the elements could not save the visitors.

Ollie Sleightholme grabbed four tries, Alex Mitchell completed a hat-trick, Mitch Eadie went over twice and Alex Coles marked his European debut with a score as the hosts saw 11 different players run in tries during the demolition job.

Saints had secured their bonus point as early as the 23rd minute at Franklin’s Gardens with Luther Burrell, Reece Marshall, Rory Hutchinson and all going over in quick succession. 

Timisoara made it onto the scoreboard with a penalty after 11 minutes from Luke Samoa but they barely advanced into Saints territory as the hosts ran riot.

Andrew Kellaway, Lewis Ludlam, Nafi Tuitavake and Tom Collins also scored tries for a rampant Saints team as they secured their place in the quarter-finals from pool one. 

Original Source

Barcelona doubtful on Frenkie de Jong deal after ‘meeting starlet and his agent’ in Amsterdam with player setting sights on PSG move

Barcelona have been left doubtful in their approach for Ajax wonderkid Frenkie de Jong, after meeting with the player and his representatives in Amsterdam.

A delegation of Barca chiefs headed to the Dutch capital last week in order to meet with European football’s hottest prospect and persuade him his future lies at the Nou Camp, as report Catalan publication Mundo Deportivo.

But while Barca were hoping to leave with a pact in place for the 21-year-old to make a La Liga switch, they instead departed with a feeling of rejection.

A party comprising president Josep Bartomeu, sports manager Pep Segura and director of football Eric Abidal made the trip to showcase the desire of Barca to capture the player.

But De Jong’s priority is still believed to be Paris Saint Germain, and Barca now fear missing out on the player to the big-spending Ligue 1 giants.

Manchester City have also been heavily linked with De Jong, with manager Pep Guardiola known to be a huge admirer.

Original Source

Trent Alexander-Arnold ‘ecstatic and proud’ at new Liverpool contract as he signs new long term deal with boyhood club

Trent Alexander-Arnold has signed a new long-term contract with Liverpool. 

The 20-year-old is the jewel in the crown of Liverpool’s academy having graduated from the set-up to become a mainstay in Jurgen Klopp’s side, with the manager even calling on fans to make a song for the homegrown hero.  

‘Liverpool supporters love Trent as ‘one of their own’, although I have noticed he doesn’t have a song from the fans yet, so maybe that is something they can work on. Wow, does he deserve one,’ the manager said.  

And Alexander-Arnold was delighted to have agreed fresh terms. On committing his long term future to the club he said: ‘I’m ecstatic and really proud,’ Alexander-Arnold said. ‘I feel privileged to have the support and the trust the club has in me to offer me a new deal.

‘There was no doubt in my mind to sign and extend the years I have with the club. Hopefully we can achieve a lot of success in those years.

‘As soon as they offered the contract, there was no hesitation whatsoever. The thing that made it easiest for me was having the people around me to make sure I was able to focus on football as much as possible and get the deal done as soon as possible. 

‘That is down to my brother especially, my manager, who took that role and allowed me to focus on football and not get distracted, which is the main thing.

‘The last 18 months especially have been very special. Hopefully the next 18 months and even further on than that will be even more special.’

Original Source

Saina Nehwal Loses To Carolina Marin In Malaysia Masters Semifinal

Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal suffered a 16-21, 13-21 defeat to Carolina Marin of Spain in the semifinal of the Malaysia Masters 2019.

Saina Nehwal crashed out of the Malaysia Masters 2019 after losing 16-21, 13-21 to Carolina Marin of Spain in the women’s singles semifinals at the Axiata Arena, Kuala Lumpur, on Saturday. The Indian shuttler was dominated by the three-time world champion Carolina Marin throughout the 40-minute contest in Malaysia. In the women’s singles final, Marin will take on either Thai badminton player Ratchanok Intanon or Goh Jin Wei of Malaysia. On Friday, Saina Nehwal scripted a straight-game win over Japan’s Nozomi Okuhara to enter the semifinals but India’s male shuttler Kidambi Srikanth suffered an exit at the USD 350,000 event.  

Seventh seeded Saina, who had a 8-4 head-to-head record against Okuhara before Friday, fought back from 9-15 and 14-18 down in the two games to extend her dominance over the second-seeded Japanese with a 21-18 23-21 win in a 48-minute quarterfinals at the Axiata Arena.    

However, Srikanth squandered a one-game advantage to go down 23-21 16-21 17-21 to fourth seed Korean Son Wan Ho in the men’s singles quarterfinals that lasted an hour and 12 minutes.

The women’s singles match started on an even keel as both Saina and Okuhara fought hard, moving together till 9-9. Okuhara registered six straight points to create a huge gap but Saina showed her mettle as she slowly erased the deficit and grabbed a 17-16 lead at one stage.  

Okuhara made it 17-17 before Saina closed out the opening game by grabbing the remaining points.

The Indian was 4-2 up early on in the second game but Okuhara jumped to a 8-5 lead before Saina wrested a 11-9 advantage at the break.   

Original Source