Kenyan president says Nairobi attack is over after all militants killed

At least 14 people die in assault on dusitD2 hotel complex claimed by al-Shabaab

Briton among dead in Nairobi hotel complex attack

Kenya’s president has said security forces have killed all four militants who stormed a hotel and office complex in Nairobi, confirming earlier reports that 14 civilians had died.

Uhuru Kenyatta said early on Wednesday that operations at the dusitD2 hotel in the centre of the Kenyan capital had ended and that 14 “innocent lives” had been lost. More than 700 civilians had been safely evacuated, he said.

The attack on the began shortly after 3pm on Tuesday with an explosion in the parking lot and then a suicide bomb blast in the hotel’s foyer, police said.

The assault on a compound in the centre of the Kenyan capital containing restaurants, a spa and several office buildings housing international companies as well as the luxury hotel, was the most high-profile by terrorists in Kenya for many years.

It was claimed by al-Shabaab, the militant Islamist organisation based in neighbouring Somalia, on its in-house radio network and online. Al-Shabaab was responsible for an attack on Nairobi’s Westgate Mall in 2013 that left at least 67 people dead.

Kenyatta pledged to “pursue relentlessly those involved in the funding, planning and execution of a heinous act wherever they will be” and said the country was on “highest alert”.

Images from security cameras showed four young men in black combat fatigues and loaded belts, armed with AK47s entering the compound. The gunmen initially targeting a bank and diners at a Thai restaurant, prompting panic.

Original Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *