Will The Bachelorette be cancelled? Rumours swirl Channel 10 is planning to ‘rest’ the dating show after Ali Oetjen’s season delivered low ratings

The latest season of The Bachelorette starring Ali Oetjen struggled to keep audiences entertained, limping onto TV screens with the lowest ratings in the franchise’s history.

And now, just four seasons after its debut, it seems Channel 10 may be forced to put the show to rest.  

‘Audiences became fatigued by the show after Ali’s season,’ an industry source told  NW on Monday, adding that it didn’t help that The Bachelorette launched the week after The Bachelor ended.

The insider continued: ‘There was already outrage following Honey Badger [former Bachelor Nick Cummins] and his decision to dump both girls in the finale – that, in addition to the backlash surrounding Ali’s appointment, was a recipe for disaster.’

However, it’s not all over yet for the reality dating franchise which saw Sam Frost, Georgia Love, Sophie Monk and Ali Oetjen search for love, as insiders report the show is just taking a year off in an attempt to lure back interest from the public. 

Fans turned their back on Ali’s season of The Bachelorette after her former boyfriend, Bachelor In Paradise’s Grant Kemp, accused her of cheating on him on a staircase.  

It didn’t help that Ali was under the constant comparison of previous Bachelorette stars, including ‘Australia’s most-loved bogan’ Sophie Monk, whose season broke ratings records. 

David Knox, the editor of TV Tonight, told Daily Mail Australia last year that viewers were underwhelmed by Ali.  

‘You have to wonder if Ten painted themselves into a corner with the casting coup of Sophie Monk [star of The Bachelorette in 2017],’ he said.

Original Source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *