Among the fifteen dead, identification papers indicated that 11 were Kenyan, one was American and one was British.
Nairobi: Gunmen blasted their way into a hotel and office complex in the Kenyan capital on Tuesday, killing at least 14 people and sending workers diving under desks to escape an attack claimed by Somalia-based Islamist group al Shabaab.
More than 12 hours after the assault began at Nairobi’s upscale 14 Riverside Drive complex, bursts of gunfire and blasts were heard in the area, undermining government assurances everything was under control.
Kenya’s President Uhuru Kenyatta said on Wednesday that the security operation at a Nairobi hotel complex attacked by militants was over and all the “terrorists” involved had been killed. Kenyatta said that 14 civialians were confirmed dead and over 700 others had been evacuated to safety by security forces.
The shots rang out at around 3:30 am local time (0030 GMT) as a group of around 150 workers was escorted from a building where they had sought refuge. Many more remained inside and some needed first aid for gunshot wounds, a first responder told Reuters.
By 1 am local time, 15 bodies had arrived at Chiromo Mortuary and more were expected, an attendant told Reuters.
Identification papers indicated that 11 were Kenyan, one was American and one was British, he said. The other two were not carrying documents.